Pages

Monday, August 01, 2011

Baptism

This Sunday was a bit different for all of us at Missio Dei. Our fun-loving church had a camp-out weekend and a non-traditional worship on Sunday morning. We all came together for worship, communion, and baptism on Sunday. It was a huge blessing to be together in an unusual environment for church and see loved ones be baptized into the family of God.

Catherine, who was baptized that morning, said that not only was she using baptism as a testament of faith to her local church community, but also an acknowledgment that she now found community in the entire faith of Christ followers. I found this to be refreshing for multiple reasons.

Many of us are baptized as children or teens as a right of passage. We know in our hearts that this is something our community of faith expects of us. As children it is a fairly easy task to do. We believe without blemish and without question (most of the time). At that time in our lives we don't choose to be a part of the church, we choose to do what we're told. And though this choice is made from the heart (most often), it's naive.

For those who wait to be baptized as adults, they're making a more-rational choice... weighing options and using the pain, knowledge, heart and wisdom they've acquired in their early to mid adult years. They've seen some life (if not some, then lots) and they willingly submit their beliefs, heart and soul to this faith in Christ and his Church. They are making a choice, not following directions.

Although I do not know Catherine very personally, her commitment to God and Christ is evident. She is passionate for the will of God in her life and the lives of those whom she loves. I see this as a beautiful thing. A very adult thing, made in her own heart of hearts. I cannot deny that this type of commitment is more meaningful to me, than a commitment a child makes. It's a willful desire to act upon knowledge, rather than obedience in man.

Thoughts?

* I should add, I was baptized into the Protestant Church as a 17 year old. And though I was still a child, I value that moment in my life very highly. I can see in hindsight that my choice was based on human obedience and have often considered baptism as a "new" follower of Christ. But that's for another discussion.

1 comment:

  1. I grew up in an evangelical church, very connected and part of a family that was very invested there, and I was baptized at age 12. I don't regret it and I don't think I should be baptized again, but I lean toward encouraging my kids to wait longer, maybe until they are adults. This comes mainly from years of seeing children get baptized and adults get baptized, and being struck by the difference in meaning and understanding and all that.

    ReplyDelete