Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Spirited Child

Next month Lucas will be eighteen months old. He has been exemplifying traits of a boy, yet has the heart of a baby at times. This in-between time is a constant reminder of how time flies with our little ones. How fleeting infancy is and how important it is to be treasured.
Lucas with Daddy last week.
 In the first year of Lucas' life we quickly learned how spirited and lively our little boy's personality would be. And in the last six month, it's been solidified in HUGE ways. His ability to vocalize his feelings is alive and present. And though he is the kindest, large-hearted little man I know... his ability to bring me to my knees with his strength of will and strong temperament is very real.

So over the course of the past few months both Matt & I have come to realize that our little boy is not going to be taught how to live a healthy life easily. We've sought out advice, read chat boards, and discussed amongst ourselves. We've taken from how we've been taught by our own parents and attempted to modify it with our own ideals. And yet, we still have battles. And we've been losing.

After some prayer and long thought, I came to realize I should call on the assistance of my trusted friend, Liz. She is the kindest, most intelligent mother and woman I know. I remember her honestly confiding in me and telling me of her challenges with their little one too. The change from infancy into toddlerhood is not an easy one for all of us.

Liz recommended the following book: The Happiest Toddler On The Block, by Harvey Karp, M.D.

I'm pretty sure we owe her the World. And a huge hug.

If you're unsure about discipline, tantrums, time-outs, and how to handle your toddlers inability to control his reactions to life, this book is for you!
*All of that being said, we're still open to suggestions and constructive advice. We adore our friends and family and encourage you to be open with us regarding your own experiences.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:56 PM

    Beautiful, Beth and Matt. To know the effort and consistency you're investing in this priceless individual... well, it warms my heart beyond description. Much love.

    ReplyDelete