Pages

Monday, May 09, 2011

Mother's Day is Really About Grandmothers

It's a day late and a dollar short, but I just can't stop thinking about how meaningful Mother's Day is for me.

Coming from a family that was very female driven has a huge influence on why any holiday, especially one that celebrates the women in our families, makes me think of my Grandmother. Not just Grandma, but all the women in my family. When I really stop and think about it, the women in my family are amazing people. They're intelligent, challenging, beautiful people... beautiful women.

But then I'm back thinking about Grandma, because most of us can honestly say that she's the one who encouraged us to do amazing things. I miss her. Desperately. Especially on a day when we should be celebrating her, because we might not be the mothers we are, were it not for her.

I'm not saying she was perfect, because she had some pretty messed up, old-school mentality about life in general. She second-guessed herself just like the rest of us. But if she could have given us the World, she would have. And I love her for it.

I miss you Grandma. Happy mother's day.

Grandma Henning, Julie and I at  my wedding shower - 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment