Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

30 Days Of Thanks - Day 14, Husband

Today... I'm publicly declaring how thankful I am for my husband, Matt. It seems cliche', but truth be told, I am incredibly thankful for who he is and who he strives to be. I tend to focus on the external aspects of Matt; the active parts of who he is... his job, his role as a husband and his activities with our son. It's so easy to be caught up in the way we serve one another, rather than the intent behind why we would serve in the first place.


Matt has always had a tender heart. As he ages, his heart has been calloused and rubbed rough... but when I stop and look at my husband I see that boyish heart. It's beating for the people he loves. It would willingly give up anything to save a loved one from pain or anguish. That heart still seeks righteousness and goodness in this rough and hard life.

Matt with our baby Lucas... 2009.

My husband is a "feelings" guy. With a tender heart comes a sensitive spirit and when Matt has the capacity, he recognizes feelings and emotions in others. Unlike many, Matt will put himself out there and ask what is wrong... ask if this person wants to talk about what is hurting ... he will open himself to vulnerability. This attribute of his is what initially attracted me toward him and eventually snagged me in for the long-haul. It's still what keeps us going some days.


Matt is committed. We've been married nearly nine years and in the duration of these years Matt has stuck with me through thick and thin. His honesty (though at times is tough to hear) is what has kept the air clear and potentially prevents baggage from creeping in. As a couple, we have our quirks... ups and downs... but at the end of the day commitment is what that brings us back together. This commitment reminds me of the love we have for one another.


There is so much more to be thankful for in this man I call my husband, but I will limit it to the above three: a tender heart, his ability to be in touch with his emotions, and his committed spirit. In marriage, we are familiar with the dark and rough parts of our partner... but focusing on the beauty enables a spirit of generosity and sensitivity toward this person we're called to protect, honor and serve.

What are you thankful for in your spouse? Who are they as a person and why does this make them special to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment